Activity: Crossing the Street
Safe street with a crosswalk for practicing safe crossing
Let’s Get Started:
1. Crossing the street safely is an important safety rule for children in kindergarten. A five-year-old can feel independent and anxious to do things on her own. It is critical to help the child understand that she must exercise extreme caution when crossing a street.
2. Take the children to a street that has a crosswalk. Explain to the children that crossing the street safely is very important for their safety.
3. With the teacher holding one end, have the children grasp the walking rope and walk across the street as a group.
4. Explain to the children that even if they do not have a walking rope, it is important to stay with an adult when crossing a busy street.
5. Repeat instructions as many times as necessary.
6. Have someone take a picture of your group crossing the street. Mount the picture in the classroom as a good reminder about being safe when doing this.
Shapes Walking Rope